Thursday, January 26, 2012

Souperburgers


The theme for this month's girl's night with my girlfriends Bonnie and Dawn was Soup and Sandwiches (and always a dessert of course!).  The way that our meals always go is we pick a theme and then each girl gets to pick whatever they want to make for their portion of the meal.  I always wanted to make French Onion Soup, so I volunteered for that part.  Dawn picked sandwiches and Bonnie chose to make an Apple Crisp for dessert for a change.

I am posting Dawn's recipe first this time.  (The other two recipes will be posted this week.)  It tasted great and was pretty simple.  The original recipe called for ground beef, but just before cooking we realized that pork was purchased on accident.  Well it definitely didn't taste like an accident.  Actually I think I preferred the added flavor of the pork in place of the usual ground beef or turkey.  But use what you like, they will all work nicely.

"Here is the recipe for my sandwiches. They are called Souperburgers and I think they're just a little twist on Sloppy Joe's." --Dawn



Souperburgers
original recipe from recipe.com

1 pound ground meat (turkey, beef or pork)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (10.75 ounce) can Condensed Tomato Soup
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 sandwich rolls

Cook the meat and onion in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it is well browned, stirring often. Pour off any fat.

Stir the soup, mustard and black pepper in the skillet and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Divide the meat mixture among the rolls.




(I'm gonna admit I didn't catch the play on words in the name of the recipe (the Souper part) until I got home and started writing the recipe.  But it uses condensed tomato SOUP.  ding ding ding!!  I think tomato paste and a bit of tomato sauce would work fine in place of the canned soup.  If you go this route be sure to salt your mixture a bit- there is no salt in this recipe since there is salt in the soup.  But the soup sure made it easy!)

4 comments:

  1. You should call them beautiful burgers. What a photo. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sara! I have been having so much fun with my new camera, and I think I finally found two "sweet spots" for photographing. One is actually in the bedroom of all places! lol. This one was in the kitchen though :)

      Delete
  2. I love this recipe! And with a name like Souperburger, this sandwich would be perfectly themed for a Super Bowl party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, you are so right, these WOULD be great for a Super Bowl Party. Being so NOT the sports person- probably furthest from, it didn't even cross my mind! haha. But I do love a good Super Bowl party thanks to all the great food and fun commercials!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails