Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Beef Roast with Tomato Ragout (Slow Cooker)


I am always on a hunt for a good slow cooker pot roast.  You have all been asking me for more slow cooker recipes.  This one works for both of those requirements!  I usually make up more of a beefy, mushroom type sauce, but to change things up a bit this one is a tomato and red onion sauce.  Change is good, right?!  I happened to have all of the ingredients in my pantry, making this recipe quite economical as well.

Everyone loved the flavors and richness the sauce brings to the meat.  We all started out with a slight drizzle of sauce over the meat, and then added more and then added even more!  It was so yummy!  I loved having one big bite of meat, potato and peas all in one.  Hearty, slow cooked and complete comfort food.

Beef Roast with Tomato Ragout
recipe from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker Recipes 2

1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 can (28 ounce) whole peeled tomatoes with basil, drained and broken into pieces
3 lbs beef rump roast, rinsed and patted dry
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can condensed tomato soup (if you didn't want to use caned soup you could substitute one can of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons tomato paste)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 envelope onion soup mix (or 5 tablespoons of your own homemade batch found here)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or a mix of oregano, basil, sage, parsley)
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced

In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine onion and tomatoes.  season rump roast with garlic salt and pepper.  Place roast in slow cooker on top of vegetables, fat side up.

In a small bowl, stir together remaining ingredients thoroughly and pour over rump roast.  Cover and cook on LOW setting for 8-10 hours (or on High for 4-5).

Strain and defat cooking liquid.  Serve as a sauce on the side.

I made a quick rue on the stove and added in the sauce to thicken up and make a gravy. It was delicious!


3 comments:

  1. I like this recipe a lot, it is one of my favourites. I`ve tried it yesterday and it was very good, my husband just loves it, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my crock pot all the time and also usually do a condensed cream soup sauce. This recipe is going to give new life to my boring crock pot roasts....thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Bonnie, I actually meant to tell you about this recipe because of the countless talks about our all too often get-in-a-rut pot roast recipes. I think you and Jimmy would really like this one. Nice twist, but still super easy and affordable.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails