Thursday, June 9, 2011

Eggy Sandwich topped with a Spicy Black Bean and Tomato Guacamole


OMG. I just had one of the most delicious egg sandwiches. Ever. Scrambled egg topped with a spicy black bean and tomato guacamole, a slice of mild cheddar cheese, served on lightly toasted Italian bread. This was one of the best ideas I've had in a long time. I SO had to share!!  Go make this tonight- it will make a fantastic dinner!


Eggy Sandwich topped with a Spicy Black Bean and Tomato Guacamole
Makes 4 sandwiches

For the sandwich:
6 eggs
6 tablespoons milk
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
4 slices mild cheddar cheese
8 slices Italian bread, or any other soft yet crusty bread
freshly prepared spicy black bean and tomato guacamole (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon butter, plus a bit more to spread on toasted bread

In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the eggs and milk together for about 2 minutes. This will make sure your eggs are light, fluffy and super yummy. The American Egg Board describes well beaten eggs as being "frothy and evenly colored". It takes about 2 minutes to get them like this. Everyone will ask you how you got your eggs so fluffy and pretty looking!

In a nonstick frying pan melt 1 tablespoon butter until the very last of it is just liquifying. Pour in the eggs. Do not scramble right away. Just as they are beginning to set, using a spatula or a flat wooden spoon, push eggs toward center while tilting skillet to distribute the runny parts. Season with salt and pepper. Once cooked remove from heat.

While eggs are cooking, toast and butter your bread. Evenly distribute the eggs across 4 slices of buttered bread. Add one slice of cheese to the top of each egg. Dollop with a good amount of guacamole (I LOVE guacamole, so I used a lot. It was messy, but sooooo good!) Add the remaining slices of toasted bread, slice in half and enjoy!


Spicy Black Bean and Tomato Guacamole
1 Haas Avocado, roughly mashed
1 tomato, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
the juice of half of one lime
1/2 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
a few dashes Tobasco Sauce
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except the black beans and with a fork, roughly mash to combine.  Stir in the black beans.  Squeeze a little more lime juice on top to stop the oxidation process and keep the beautiful bright green color.

tip: If tomatoes aren't in season and are looking a little too "pink" for your liking, a can of diced tomatoes with green chili's is a great substitute for the tomato and jalapeno pepper (I really like the Ro*tel brand). You may wish to omit the Tobasco Sauce as well , as these can have a god kick to them . Be sure to taste the guac first to get the spiciness it to your liking.

5 comments:

  1. I am absolutely SALIVATING. Looks and sounds delish!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. you had me at avocados! this looks amazing Amie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Seriously, this was so good, I still can't believe I never paired these two before considering my love of both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like heaven on a plate! My husband just saw me looking at it and is requesting I make it for lunch tomorrow! hehe. I do have everything on hand... I think I will! Great recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you try it Corey? I think I am going to have to make this for dinner one night this week.... mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails