Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Oil and Vinegar Slaw


Tonight for dinner I made our favorite Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches.  We love these with a good tangy slaw on top of the sandwich to give some nice crunch and a bit of texture.  I have never been 100% crazy about a mayo-based slaw.  Some are delicious and others are just yuck.  More often then not I feel like they are on the yuck-side.  It seems like they are just full of soggy mayo and not enough actual flavor.  So when I saw this recipe from Rachael Ray for a Oil and Vinegar Slaw I was immediately intrigued.  I love a good vinegar slaw but had never made one on my own.  This one was very simple, using ingredients that are always in your pantry and packed a ton of flavor.  It was the perfect accompaniment for the tangy chicken sandwiches.  We both gave this recipe a thumbs up, definite do again.

Oil and Vinegar Slaw
taken from Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals Show "Endless Summer"

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, eyeball it
1 sack, 16 ounces, shredded cabbage mix for slaw salads
1 teaspoon celery salt
Salt and pepper to taste
*I also added one green onion, chopped

Mix vinegar and sugar. Add oil. Add cabbage to dressing and season with salt and pepper. Toss with fingers to combine. Adjust seasoning. Let stand 20 minutes. Re-toss and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails