Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

This is easily my most requested recipe. Each time I make it, I am always asked to provide the recipe so friends can make it themselves at home. It really is yummy- and the best part.... it takes about 3 minutes to prepare, a couple additional minutes to shred the chicken once cooked and then back in the crock-pot it goes to finish soaking up the goodness! Easy-peasy, but oh sooooooo good!


Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches 
1 bottle BBQ Sauce of your choice (I usually use Sweet Baby Ray's, but this time I used Open Pit to give a little more of a kick)
3 lbs boneless chicken breast, thighs or a combo of the two
1 large onion, sliced into chunks
1 can pineapple (I recommend nibblits or crushed)
*Optional* Up to a half a can of the pineapple juice, depending on how sweet you like your pulled chicken (I did not use any this time because we wanted it more spicy, and a tad less sweet.)
hamburger buns or kaiser rolls

If you use frozen chicken, make sure it is completely defrosted.  If you cook it frozen, it will indeed cook but it will make a very "wet" sauce.  Place your chicken in the bottom of the crock-pot.   Top with onions, then pineapple.  Pour entire bottle of BBQ sauce over the whole thing.  Turn your crock-pot on LOW and cook for 8-10 hours (or on HIGH for 4-6).  An hour or two before it is finished cooking, carefully remove the chicken from the crock-pot and shred it using two forks- watch out, it will be hot!  Place chicken back in the crock-pot and stir well to combine.  Finish cooking an additional hour or two so the chicken can absorb most of the sauce.  Serve on hamburger buns and top with coleslaw if desired.


When I had made it with Sweet Baby Rays and Pineapple juice it was a very sweet Pulled Chicken.  It was great, and everyone loved it.  But I have to say, this particular recipe (using Open Pit BBQ Sauce and no pineapple juice) was hands down our favorite!!  It had just the right amount of sweet and vinegar that we love in a good BBQ.  I think I will be making it like this from now on!  That is one of the coolest things about cooking.... varying a recipe and coming up with something even better then you had expected.  You just never know how the slight change in an ingredient can improve on a dish!

This dish goes perfectly with an Oil and Vinegar Slaw.

15 comments:

  1. i WILL be making these this week! I remember the first time i came over for lunch - we ate leftover sandwiches of this and it was ah-ma-zing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The timing of this recipe could not have been more perfect.

    I just made pulled pork sandwiches for the first time and since they turned out so great I want to try pulled chicken!

    This recipe sounds soooo good, plus there are few ingredients and I get to use the crock pot!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Ladies, be sure to let me know how it turned out! Tonight for dinner I made a bunch of different flat bread pizzas, and one of them I made a Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza. It was so good! I spread ranch dressing on the flat bread, topped it with cheese, sliced onion and then dolloped it with the left over chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks yummy and I love an easy recipe at this time of year for all the busy nights running around to baseball games and such. Thanks for sharing!

    Welcome to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious!!

    Howdy from the SITs Welcome Wagon:-) I hope you enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the crockpot as we speak!

    I found you through the Tasty Kitchen blog but it took some effort. The links that are supposed to go back to your recipe on the TK site just take you back to the TK blog post. Might want to have them fix it.

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy, thanks for finding me here! I hope you enjoy dinner tonight!!

    They must have fixed the problem on Tasty Kitchen, because all of the links, on the recipe and on the blog post come directly here. Would you mind checking again on your end and let me know if you are still having problems coming here because it looks ok to me....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, it's working now!

    I'll let you know when it happens, but I'll be posting this recipe on my blog, with your permission. It was AMAZING. I'll absolutely give credit where credit is due and link back to you. Okay to post the recipe? Email me please alittlenosh AT gmail.com

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad I found your blog through TK! This recipe looks delicious and I have now bookmarked it. I am your newest follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I posted about this recipe and it's fabulousness: http://t.co/3YSEOXW

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  11. the best! i love this post. really delightful.. mouthwatering!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big Big Like For it Its Just A Yummy Burgur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yousef! After reading your comment I got a taste for it again and have it in the slow cooker as we speak!

      Delete
  13. I make this with chicken or a petite shoulder pork roast. AH-MAZING!!! I get a Kansas City or Memphis savory/smoke BBQ sauce and ditch the onion. In the slaw I use coconut oil instead. Y.U.M.M.Y!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, this looks so good. Thanks for sharing this recipe.




    Simon

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails