Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reader's Question: Tips for Using Wonton Wrappers for Ravioli

I received an email today from one of my readers after making a recipe featured on here.  I felt her questions were so great I wanted to share them.  They are totally something others might run into and  could use the tips.  If any of you have any suggestions for Lindsay, please leave them here in the comments!

 Hi Amie!! Just thought I'd tell you the results of my trying the recipe for Sweet Potato Ravioli with Sage Butter....The filling and sauce was amazing and easy....but using the wonton wrappers turned into a real miss. By the time I figured out how to fold them properly, and they boiled...they stuck together after I brought them out. the taste was great...presentation not so much. any suggestions? I saved the remaining filling and figured I'd use the kitchen aid to make pasta dough and do it that way instead of the wrappers.
Hi Lindsay!
First of all, I am thrilled you are using My Retro Kitchen as a place to find new recipes!  You made my day *grin*.  Thanks!  Alright, now onto your question!  By all means, I feel that homemade pasta dough will always produce the best ravioli's!  So I highly recommend giving that a try sometime.  Have you ever made it before?  I am dying to get the pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aide, myself!!  But I have to say that when time is short, or you just don't want to have that extra step, wonton wrappers are a great short-cut.  They work especially well for delicate fillings.

Folding and sealing the wonton wrappers can be quite tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it things move a lot faster. Just do a few at a time, so they don't dry out in between. If you check out my post for Potstickers, I have step by step pictures of how I did it here. That might help a little bit.  I think the most important thing would be to not be tempted to over fill. They are more inclined to break open this way. You also want to boil them at a gentle boil, not rapid like when you boil spaghetti. I also reccomend using a sautee pan filled with water and boil them in a single layer, rather than using a pasta pot. Put them in the boiling water gently and take them out w/ a pasta strainer. They cook in no time (like 2-3 minutes) so it doesn't take much longer doing them in batches. I then transfer them to a large serving dish and keep them warm in the oven while they all cooked.

Another way to form the ravioli would be to use two sheets, one for the top and one for the bottom. Fill them the same way, seal the edges with water and you can cut them with a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter. They will look more like traditional ravioli's this way. You can try steaming them too, although I have never done it this way. I have heard though, that you absolutely need to steam them in a single layer when prepared this way.

I am glad you liked the flavor and now next time maybe you will have more success with the technical part since you will have done it all before. I love going back and perfecting recipes, trying out new ideas. Let me know what works for you, OK!  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails